[Aroid-l] Plants that glow in the dark.

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Plants that glow in the dark.
  • From: Brian Williams pugturd@alltel.net
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:49:56 -0400

At the aroid show. I was talking to Homes from Thailand about my canna breeding. He was telling me how cannas were considered weeds in Thailand and that they have been used in research for other plants using Gamma rays to create mutations. Sense cannas can flower in one years time they seem to be the best to test out. After looking this up on the internet to see if their were any photos of these mutations. I ran across something very interesting apparently some genetic modification was done to a orchid using firefly genes to create the first plant that glows in the dark. It said all parts of the plant produce light some more than others. I found this very interesting and though it is not on the subject of aroids I think that we may soon find aroids and other plants being genetically modified.

Here is the web site
Aroid-l mailing list