[Aroid-l] Re: Luminescence is Not Free

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Luminescence is Not Free
  • From: "mossytrail" mossytrail@hctc.com
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:16:33 -0800

> well this sounds true and should provide a measure of
> relief for  folks who worry about the luminescent
> monstrosities taking over the  world and throttling the
> life out of the other plants. Of course the  OTHER plants
> could practice photosynthesis after sundown, utilizing
> the light of the bioluminescent plants, and establish a
> symbiotic  relationship. possibly fireflies and algae
> could participate in the  whole life cycle.

Or... you may have heard of those orchids in Britain with
flowers that mimic female bees, thus deceptively luring in
drone bees as pollinators?  Well, suppose the
bioluminescence in our hypothetical plant was confined to
the flowers, which bloom at night; then, if it flashed on
and off in a pattern like that of a female firefly, the
plant could achieve pollination by male fireflies.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large