Re: [Aroid-l] Plants that glow in the dark.

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Plants that glow in the dark.
  • From: Bob Burns bobburns61@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:21:52 -0700 (PDT)

I have not posted to this list for a long time, but do
follow it from time to time....
    Does anyone else out there know about the luminous
mushrooms?  There are at least two species in eastern
North America and I have seen them both.  The smaller
one, Panellus stipticus, grows in clusters on oak
sticks, and I have found them clustered enough to read
     One might also reflect on those aroids whose
blooms give off palpable heat (Spathyema, Sauromatum,
Alocasia at least, probably lots more)  These are
already converting photosynthate into infrared energy.
If we had eyes to see into that wavelength, they would
already be glowing!
                Bob Burns
                  Gainesville, FL (USA, z.8b)