[Aroid-l] Fw: unusual Anthurium berry

Forgive me, I wrote this at 4:45AM and my brain is not quite awake.  Where I stated "peduncle" below in red, I meant to say petiole.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 4:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] unusual Anthurium berry

Could be Don.  Dr. Croat indicates elongated berries are a possiblity in his journal on Mexican and Central American section Pachyneurium species.  Red berries that are round tend to be more common, but the species is highy variable.  However, in a personal visit with Dr. Croat at MOBOT last year he said a peduncle that was erect (not pendant) is more common for Anthurium schlechtendalii .  Cut as a cross section, the peduncle could be Anthurium schlechtendalii, but it also could be Anthurium salviniae.  The leaves on my large Anthurium schlechtendalii look nothing like this plant and Dr. Croat confirmed mine is A. schlechtendalii as well.  Oh, how badly we need the Doc's guidance!!!
Steve Lucas