[Aroid-l] Cannibal among the Aroids/The Dog

Sent : 	Monday, September 3, 2007 12:38 AM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Cannibal among the Aroids

Dear Jason and Friends,

The entire image can be found in the Sept. 2007 Issue of the Smithsonian
Mag. on pg.79, albatross in flight on the cover.
Jason, as you suspected the image on Google has been 'cropped' or trimmed
smaller, so the stand of Montrichardia in fruit is not shown, nor is the
clump of either Monstera OR Philodendrons in the lower right hand corner.
You can see the leaves of what I speculate may be a Synongonium sp. on the
tree behind her
Scott and Susan bring up a wonderful point to a dog lover like I happen to
be.   The dog in the painting is almost certainly a Xoloitzcuintle
(pronounce THAT!), a rare hairless breed found in Mexico and down into S.
America, I saw them in N. Peru when I lived there in Talara.   This
type/breed of dog is almost certainly the 'chupacabras' which has just been
reported from taxas (Google it and the dog`s name).

Good Growing (and eating!!!)

>>>Hi Julius, I found him using Google Image, it's Albert
>Eckhout, if I'm looking at the correct photo- it is VERY
>disturbing. I didn't see any Aroids... but the thing at
>her heels looks like the "Chupacabra" they found in Mexico
This image may have been cutoff.  I seem to recall in the
original message about it, he said one of her hands was
pointing to the aroid.  If you look carefully, you can see
the tips of some large leaves at the far left, and I suspect
in the original image, more of them showed.  Can anyone find
a more complete image, one that shows the whole leaves?

As to her carrying dismembered bodies, I believe the artist
was implying that her tribe were cannibals.  The word
cannibal, as we all know, was derived from Carib (think
Pirates of the Caribbean, part 2), and surely the Caribs
proper were not the only tribe in the region to have the

Jason Hernandez

Aroid-L mailing list