Re: [Aroid-l] Cannibal among the Aroids

> Hi Julius, I found him using Google Image, it's Albert
> Eckhout, if I'm looking at the correct photo- it is VERY
> disturbing. I didn't see any Aroids... but the thing at
> her heels looks like the "Chupacabra" they found in Mexico

http://members.iif.hu/visontay/ponticulus/images/eckhout_tarairiu.jpg

This image may have been cutoff.  I seem to recall in the
original message about it, he said one of her hands was
pointing to the aroid.  If you look carefully, you can see
the tips of some large leaves at the far left, and I suspect
in the original image, more of them showed.  Can anyone find
a more complete image, one that shows the whole leaves?

As to her carrying dismembered bodies, I believe the artist
was implying that her tribe were cannibals.  The word
cannibal, as we all know, was derived from Carib (think
Pirates of the Caribbean, part 2), and surely the Caribs
proper were not the only tribe in the region to have the
practice.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large