From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com]
On Behalf Of Peter Matthews
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 4:22 AM
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid recipes

Dear Aroid Tasters and Survivors,

The young shoots of wild Lasia spinosa are commonly used as a vegetable
in Burma/Myanmar. Maybe the spines of L. spinosa have been an effective
defense against herbivores, making nasty chemical defences less
important.

Are the young shoots of other spiny aroids also edible? Is this a general
pattern, or do some aroids pull out all the stops, so to speak, to make
themselves unattractive?

Have cultivated forms of Monstera deliciosa been selected for edible
fruit, or are the fruit of wild forms equally edible?

When and where did the monster become delicious? I would like to try that
bowl of river-chilled fruit, but which river is best for it?

Peter