Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 6:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] unusual Anthurium berry

I agree with Don: this looks like the variable species that is common in
gardens (although I would not venture a name). The hanging infructescences
are because the plant is growing over the side of the pot, and are like all
those in my garden which "hang" when growing in a tree or lie flat along the
ground or a leaf when this is their only option since they do not have the
rigidity to support the weight of the developing fruits.

It always seems such a shame to waste these fruit masses, but the seedlings
come up from them like grass and die from overcrowding unless a few are
picked off the spadix when young and grown on.

Derek