Re: [Aroid-l] unusual Anthurium berry

Can't argue with logic.  Dr. Croat did indicate when I was last in his office Anthurium schlechtendalii should have an erect peduncle with a pendant spathe.  I may have to wait for him to return from Ecuador for a clarification, but the shape of the spadices in the grower's photos are not a close match to the photo he verified.  I'm attaching a photo of the spathe and spadix which he verified to be Anthurium schlechtendalii.  In the case of this spathe, it fell pendant within days.  It also developed a full head of berries and remained erect until the red berries were harvested and planted in pots.  However, I understand the variableness of the species.  Dr. Gonçalves informed me in an email last fall the peduncle should be longer than the spadix which is the case in both photos.
Steve Lucas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 6:12 AM
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] unusual Anthurium berry

I agree with Don: this looks like the variable species that is common in
gardens (although I would not venture a name). The hanging infructescences
are because the plant is growing over the side of the pot, and are like all
those in my garden which "hang" when growing in a tree or lie flat along the
ground or a leaf when this is their only option since they do not have the
rigidity to support the weight of the developing fruits.

Aroid-L mailing list