Re: [Aroid-l] Thyphonium nubicum vs Typhonium venosum 'IndianGiant'?

Aroiders,

a (very) late "Thank you" to all of you who replied to my question!

All the comments indicate that there is probably a lot of variation in
T. venosum in respect to plant size and pattern of the petiole.

Since I have just one genotype (thanks CJ!), I could nor tell the
difference, neither confirm to some fellow aroiders here in Germany that
my plant is the 'Indian Giant'.
However, from all the descriptions and pictures it seems to be that I
really have the 'Indian Giant'. Furthermore it was confirmed by the
american fellow aroider I got the offset from that it came from Tony
Avent's PDN as 'Indian Giant'.
I attach a picture showing the wider leaf segments and the fewer spotted
petiole.

@Tony: Interesting what you wrote 'Indian Giant' being a strain and
crosspollinating with the regular venosum. It would be interseting, too,
to hear if the F1 is sterile and so promoting the suggestion that
'Indian Giant' could be a tetraploid.

@Brian: Wow, your 'Indian Giant'  must have doubled it's chromosome set
spontaniously according to the leaf your picture shows, at least an
octoploid - VERY impressive!

Regarding my question about nubicum, I got a reply in our German
Amorhophallus-Forum from a finnish Amorphophile that it was discussed in
another forum that 'Indian Giant' and Sauromatum nubicum might be the
same strain or genotype. (note: This was suggested by two guys named
Hetterscheid and Boyce - ever heard of them????    ;-)

(Citation from the www.amorphophallus-forum.de:
"RE: Typhonium ( Sauromatum) nubicum clip this post email this post what
is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by Razorback33 z7 (My Page) on Fri, Nov 18, 05 at 13:33

According to one source, Sauromatum nubicum was moved to the Genus
Typhonium and included within the species Typhonium venosum.
Citation published in Aroideana in Year 2000. Authors were Hellerscheid,
W & PC Boyce. So, it is probably the one known as 'India Giant'
Rb" End of citation)

If you want to read the whole citation go to:
http://www.amorphophallus-forum.de/viewtopic.php?t=316
and scroll down a little bit....

Best,
Bernhard.