Re: [Aroid-l] gigas question

A few left over konjac tubers would be loving received here to replace the amorphs that were left out last winter mistakenly by dad ...

kfb
45 russells hill rd.
whites cove
yarmouth, me. 04096-5752

Russell Coker <cokerra@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Hi everyone.

I have a little problem and I hope someone can answer a couple of questions.

Mobile, Alabama, was the host city for the Southern Plant Conference a few weeks ago.  I was not able to attend, but a friend told me there was an Amorphophallus gigas in the silent auction.  Well, I managed to win it for 25 bucks so I has pretty happy with that.

To my horror she brought me what appears to be konjac, with 2 leaves about 6 inches tall in a one gallon pot .  BTW, I've been digging up konjac in my garden and throwing them away, if anyone wants any.  I have to admit that the pictures on the Am gigas page do seem to look like giant konjac.  The leaves have died down (just like my konjacs are starting to do) so I dumped out the pot to find 2 tubers about 1 inch across with 3 stolons each.

So, does a young gigas look like konjac?  Does gigas spread by stolons or is it solitary?  I figure I already know the answer to these questions, but want to be certain before I contact the person/arboretum who provided the plant.

Russell Coker
Mobile, AL  zn 8b