Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid stamp/taro

>From : 	Marek Argent <abri1973@wp.pl>
Sent : 	Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:53 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Aroid stamp

Dear Marek and Aroid Friends,

Marek, I was unable to open and view the stamps, can you post them in a jpeg
or gif format?
In Haiti, and now on Grenada Island, W.I., some Xanthosoma sps. are called
''tayo", which may be derived from the word ''Taro".   On Haiti, Colocasia
esculenta (dasheen, taro) seems to be called "Mazombelle", I`d appreciate
the correct spelling on this and an explanation from anyone "out there" who
may know about this name.
SO--IF the stamps are from a French-speaking country, Xanthosoma sps. may be
also be called/named "taro" on that Country/Island!
I hope that this helps, but would REALLY like to see the stamp.

The Best,

The 16th stamp in this sheet is named "taro",
but the leaf doesn't look like Colocasia esculenta, rather like Xanthosoma
What may it be? I know that artist sometimes don't see important features
for botanists.

Besides I read somewhere that in various regions of the world, different
species are cultivated as "taro".
Can anyone help?

Marek Argent<<

Aroid-L mailing list