[Aroid-l] Aroid stamp=Taro=Colocasia

>From : 	Marek Argent <abri1973@wp.pl>
Sent : 	Friday, September 28, 2007 4:27 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid stamp

Dear Aroidophiles,

I have wracked my old brain, read ALL the opinions on what plant this
artwork depicts, and have FINALLY come up with what I THINK the answer might
A saying that has stood me well in my life has been --'When everything else
fails, read the instructions".   With this ringing in my silly old brain,
and with a VERY vague memory of a Colocasia (taro) cultivar with a
sagittate, NOT peltate leaf blade, I dove into Deni Bown`s FANTASTIC tome,
"Aroids, Plants of the Arum family".   And---AHA!!--Pg. 250!!  There are on
Hawaii (and presumably in other areas of the Pacific, such as Micronesia,
the small Islands and Atols scattered across the Pacific between New Guinea
and Hawaii),  SEVERAL popular cultivars named "piko", with the posterior
leaf lobes open to the navel, or 'piko', exactly as depicted in the artwork
on the stamps.
Perhaps the artist tasked with depicting all these 'pretty-prettys' on the
sheet of postage stamps was given one of these seemingly
common-in-the-region cultivars to depict in the painting??   The corms and
head-sat (huli) on the same stamp are a fair and typical depiction of a
taro/Colocasia cultivar.   Mammy Yokum`s words, "Ah has spoken' " from the
Sunday cartoon ''Dogpatch" by Al Kap come to mind.  (Let`s see how many of
you older ones 'out there' recall this!).
I hope this solves the puzzle!

Good Growing,

>>Attachment :  	micronesia89.jpg (0.16 MB)
Ok, here it is again. it's not 16th but 12th stamp.