Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid stamp=Taro=Colocasia

Dear Julius and all involved in this thread of

Aloha.  I do agree with the line of thought that this
is a popular illustration and not necessarily a
scientifically accurate depiction.

Having said that, the Piko varieties of Hawaiian taro
are indeed distinguished by having sagittate versus
peltate leaf blades.  They are cut to the connection
of the petiole or piko...which translates to belly
button or umbilicus.  The depiction of the corm habit
is similar...but not entirely accurate.  Color in the
piko varieties varies greatly and the leaf blades and
petioles often have very ornamental stripes or blushes
of color, etc.  There are also plain green varieties.
In Hawaii, taro cultivation reached a zenith and there
are records that 150-175 taro varieties once existed.
However, many of these cultivars are lost and exactly
which names were synonymous is impossible to
reconstruct.  Today, less than 70 cultivars may still
remain of the native forms...and some are very rare.

I do remember the Sunday comics...not to the detail of
Julius's magnificent memory, however.