From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Jonathan Ertelt
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 4:17 PM
To: Discussion of aroids
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid stamp

There is no country of which I am aware that does not have some strangeness among its collection of stamps issued. I have been intrigued and entertained in recent years to see so many movie and movie images issued by countries where my inclination would be to suspect that the majority of the populas have likely not even seen the movie, but that may be showing up my own stereotypes over places I have not been. Never the less, I suspect that the flowers and fruits shown on this collection of stamps from Micronesia represent plants grown there and often seen, whether native or not. The botanical accuracy may be frustrating for some of us that like to look for botanical accuracy, however the fact that one or more of our favorite plants or plant families is represented is hopefully a cause for joy rather than disappointment over details missed. Making money from stamp companies is not such a bad way for a country to make money, after all, given some of the other ways more often used.

Okay, I'll step down now. Enjoy the aroids where they can be found. Have a good weekend.

Unfortunately some third world countries like my own are only interested in making money out of stamp companies who make them tempting offers, and all sorts of inappropriate images are used.  We have had Mickey Mouse stamps and all kind of rubbish.  It is silly, because the collectibility of stamps should increase when authenticity of illustrations and origin of plants are involved, but I understand that there is a big schoolboy philatelic market.

In the case of these Micronesian stamps the government apparently thought they should employ a local artist who knows the plants, but who in this case falls short of international standards in his/her art work.

John Criswick