From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com] On Behalf Of Julius Boos
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 6:14 AM
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject: [Aroid-l] Aroid stamp=Taro=Colocasia

>From :     Marek Argent <abri1973@wp.pl>

Sent :      Friday, September 28, 2007 4:27 PM

To : "Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>

Subject :   Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid stamp

Dear Aroidophiles,

I have wracked my old brain, read ALL the opinions on what plant this

artwork depicts, and have FINALLY come up with what I THINK the answer might

A saying that has stood me well in my life has been --'When everything else

fails, read the instructions".   With this ringing in my silly old brain,

and with a VERY vague memory of a Colocasia (taro) cultivar with a

sagittate, NOT peltate leaf blade, I dove into Deni Bown`s FANTASTIC tome,

"Aroids, Plants of the Arum family".   And---AHA!!--Pg. 250!!  There are on

Hawaii (and presumably in other areas of the Pacific, such as Micronesia,

the small Islands and Atols scattered across the Pacific between New Guinea

and Hawaii),  SEVERAL popular cultivars named "piko", with the posterior

leaf lobes open to the navel, or 'piko', exactly as depicted in the artwork

on the stamps.

Perhaps the artist tasked with depicting all these 'pretty-prettys' on the

sheet of postage stamps was given one of these seemingly

common-in-the-region cultivars to depict in the painting??   The corms and

head-sat (huli) on the same stamp are a fair and typical depiction of a

taro/Colocasia cultivar.   Mammy Yokum`s words, "Ah has spoken' " from the

Sunday cartoon ''Dogpatch" by Al Kap come to mind.  (Let`s see how many of

you older ones 'out there' recall this!).

I hope this solves the puzzle!

Good Growing,

>>Attachment :    micronesia89.jpg (0.16 MB)

Ok, here it is again. it's not 16th but 12th stamp.