Re: Philodendron martianum (which many of us know as Philodendron cannifolium)

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron martianum (which many of us know as Philodendron cannifolium)
  • From: Conrad Fleming <conradfleming@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 04:15:22 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

I collected Philodendron rudgeanum decades ago on the island of Trinidad.  It survived, weakly, for a few years in cultivation, then died.  It belongs to a section of Philodendron (the name of which I cannot now remember) which consists of thin, scrambling vines, with thin petioles and rather small leaves.  They require high atmospheric as well as root humidity in order to survive, which is why most of them succumbed in my rather dry, island conditions; a couple of Costa Rican spp. are still with me, after all these years.

I'll be getting together the cuttings I promised you in the near future.

All the best,