Philodendron martianum (which many of us know as Philodendron cannifolium)

  • Subject: Philodendron martianum (which many of us know as Philodendron cannifolium)
  • From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 01:23:13 -0500

I realize this is likely to be confusing so please read all of my request before responding with a photo.

I have been researching the names Philodendron martianum Engl. and Philodendron cannifolium Mart. ex Kunth for a new webpage that has yet to be posted.

I have known for some time the correct name for the species many of us grow is Philodendron martianum (not Philodendron cannifolium) as was recently explained by Leland Miyano on this forum.  Aroid botanist Dr. Eduardo Gonçalves in Brazil had confirmed that fact for me late last year.  What I was having trouble understanding is why many of us believe Philodendron cannifolium is a synonym for Philodendron martianum when neither the International Plant Names Index nor TROPICOS stated that to be correct.  Both plants are cited to be a species but the accepted name for Philodendron cannifolium is Philodendron rudgeanum Schott and I could not find a source in botany that Philodendron cannifolium was a synonym for Philodendron martianum.

I sent a note to my friend Leland and asked for help in unraveling this mystery.  This was Leland's response:

"Surf on to the KEW World Monocot Checklist...they have the best explanations about Philodendron cannifolium...and it depends on the author.   Philodendron rudgeanum is totally different from Philodendron martianum...but it does look like vine with Spathiphyllum cannifolium leaves...so the confusion...I'll let you explain it in a better fashion once you see the citations."

Leland also explained the common belief that Philodendron cannifolium looked like Philodendron martianum can be traced to A.B. Graf's book Exotica which has an incorrectly identified photo of Philodendron martianum with the caption "Philodendron cannifolium".

Once I read all the Kew's material I could understand the name Philodendron cannifolium was in fact Philodendron rudgeanum and neither of these plants even look like Philodendron martianumPhilodendron rudgeanum (formerly Philodendron cannifolium) is a totally different species and has leaves that look like Spathyphyllum cannifolium but is not a Spathyphyllum species but is simply a Philodendron with leaves that look like a Spathyphyllum.

Believe me, I know that last paragraph can be confusing!  I had to think about this for quite awhile to make certain I understood what the scientific sources were saying before beginning to write my page.

So here is my photo request:  To better explain this confusion on my website I need a good photo of Philodendron rudgeanum (formerly known as Philodendron cannifolium) so I can show my website readers what both plants look like.  If you grow Philodendron rudgeanum and would be willing to allow me to use your photo with credit please post it here and also send it to me at Steve@ExoticRainforest.com   Please be sure you tell me how you would like the credit to read.

At this time I don't need any more photos of Philodendron martianum since four plant photographers have provided those already.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas