Re: ?? Water-loving Anthurium species (Jay Vannini)

  • Subject: Re: ?? Water-loving Anthurium species (Jay Vannini)
  • From: Devin Biggs <dbiggs@xantusidesign.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 01:37:41 -0400

Jay,

Thanks very much. I appreciate the taxonomic background as I am only just beginning to learn about aroids. I have the impression that
you are in Guatemala(?). I will follow these ideas for US sources please let me know if any other ideas come to mind. If I ever turn any of
these up can I quote you in my  blog? I wonder if anybody has ever collected and imported that Spathiphyllum(?). That would also be a
great plant to try out.

Here is a shot of one of the Anubias that I have tried with good results, A. gigantea:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3481719561_aca2b4b14b_o.jpg

There are a number of other commercially-available Anubias that I need to get my hands on. They are slow, but really handsome
plants.

Thanks again Jay. I will have more questions if I can ever get some of these plants.

Regards,

Devin

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:18:51 -0600
>From: Jay Vannini heloderma5@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] ?? Water-loving Anthurium species
>To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
>

>Not sure if the list accepted a post from my other mail-server....a thousand pardons if this post is duplicated.
>
>Greetings:
>
>The images mentioned on the UBC website are mine, taken near El Guabal on the Caribbean versant of Veraguas Prov. Panama in late
October 2007. According to an unpubl. (?) treatment of rheophytic anthuriums that Dr. Croat provided me some years back, A. rupicola
is the lone member of Sect. Porphyrochitonium that survives his taxonomic revision of these puppies...all the other taxa mentioned are
now considered to be Sect. Calomystrium. Having grown, wild-collected and propagated some of these spp. I happen to agree with this
arrangement. Previously, all of these lance-leaf Anthurium spp. (incl. well-known ones such as amnicola and antioquiense) were also
considered to be part of Sect. Porphyrochitonium and are treated as such by Kamemoto and Kuehnle in their '96 work on breeding
ornamental anthuriums.

>I have encountered the fully aquatic Spath mentioned both at the locality and in fast-flowing, boulder-strewn lowland streams flowing
into the Caribbean in Omar Torrijos NP in Cocl?. Plants are identical in general appearance to the rheophytic anthuriums being
discussed, always deeply-rooted in gravel bottoms and always growing in less than 90 cm (3') of water, usually at depths less than 60
cm (2') near the edge. I remember that I found a name for this plant way back when, but Mr. Alzie eroding my memory...Dr. Croat will
no doubt be able to provide a binomial for those interested.

>I grow antioquiense, amnicola and rupicola. Easy but extremely sensitive to drying out between waterings (natch!).
>
>I believe that a hort hybrid between antioquiense and amnicola that was developed years back at U Hawaii is (was?) circulating in SoFlo
as true antioquiense...they tend to exhibit the lilac background color of  the amnicola parent, the greater size and vigor of antioquiense,
but are not noticeably fragrant at anthesis.

>As has been mentioned elsewhere, my observations in seasonally-flooded areas of upper Amazonia coincide with others...that PLENTY
of terrestrial plants (including some Anthurium spp.) spend many months with there roots and lower stems fully submerged and are
clear candidates for culture in (large) paludariums. Beyond this, I did collect an apparently undescr. cordate-leaf sp. of anthurium in
eastern Per? that was rooted smack in the middle of a permanent stream. Seed from this taxon was distributed to some people on this
forum in 2001 and it is my understanding that Lynn Hannon donated her collection of these plants to MOBOT prior to her passing, so it
may persist in culture at that BG. I still keep a few here for laughs.