Re : Aroid-l] Wintering Alocasia

  • Subject: Re : Aroid-l] Wintering Alocasia
  • From: michael kolaczewski <mjkolaffhbc@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 07:43:20 -0700 (PDT)

I am in the Chicago Land area, USDA 5a-5b,
and These Alocasia will not over winter outdoors, or in the ground.
I usually bring the plant in the container, inside for the winter months.
Several remain in leaf throughout the winter months, I keep all my tropical
plants under lights, and a few get to spend their time in a window.
If they do go into dormancy, I lift them, check for any insect activity on the
roots, clean up any soft spots, and repot into the appropriate size container
and only water if needed.
Plants will usually start showing signs of life sometime in late March or April.
I hope this brief response will be of help to you.
Take Care,
Michael Kolaczewski
Aroid-L mailing list