Re: Aroideana 33

  • Subject: Re: Aroideana 33
  • From: Chad Mayer <chadmayer@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:13:41 -0700 (PDT)

Peter, I'm glad you brought this up. I got my copy the other day, and I'm very, very impressed.  I'm accustomed to reading academic literature of various sorts, as well as 'hobbyist' literature in several forms.  Aroideana is better than the vast majority of academic venues.  It ALSO provides a serious outlet for the 'amateur' to engage in and learn about this fascinating group of plants.  Its accessible, focused and intelligible.

Note that I put "amateur" and "hobbyist" in single quotes.  I've never experienced a field of study with such overlap and cross-fertilization of ideas between 'hard' academics and the layman.  I've also never known a field with such professional 'amateurs'.  Even more amazing, the 'hard' academics interact freely and comfortably with their counterparts outside of the academic arena.  Fairly remarkable.

I hope I'm not going too far overboard, but I'd venture to say that Derek is developing a format that might cut a path for other journals in the future.  Everyone is always talking about the popularization of science.  This group is actually accomplishing that goal.
Derek, much good karma is flowing your way.
Chad

Message: 2