Re: Aroideana 33

  • Subject: Re: Aroideana 33
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 11:05:51 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Peter and All,

As of today, I have not received my copy. I have worked with Derek in the past and he does a great job of communication and editing, etc.  Thank you Derek, for your work on Aroidiana.  I would like to thank everyone that has a hand in producing this journal that straddles the realms of the professional and the amateur.  It popularizes our passion for the amazing world of Araceae to a wider audience.  How do we increase our membership in the IAS so that Aroidiana can remain the crowning achievement of our society?

Here in Hawaii, there are some amazing collections and collectors of aroids, and yet, I believe I can count the current IAS members in our islands on one hand.  I know there are amazing collections in South America and Asia....collectors that do not belong to the IAS.  I love the IAS website for basic information and photos as well as Aroid-l.  How do we bring the lurkers into the fold so this wonderful group can expand to become truely an International Aroid Society?

I have a dream about the IAS becoming as popular as the Cactus and Succulent Society of America, or the International Palm Society, etc.  The plants are equally or even more amazing.  There is a great pool of cultivated plants available in palms, cycads, and succulents, etc., due to the increased interest.  In the early days, most of those plants were wild-collected, but now, the majority are from ex-situ, sustainable sources, and the selection of species is incredible.  The Araceae have been relatively ignored in this regard and unfortunately, there are permitting laws that are counterproductive to importing or exporting that make legally collected material much more difficult to transport between certain countries.  Just look at the number of Anthurium and Philodendron species listed, and compare that with species available in cultivation.  The unfortunate situation is that aroid habitats are disappearing every day and species are lost in spite of good conservation laws.  I could write a dissertation on this subject, but, I see a great benefit to expanding our membership and our sphere of influence to promote the Araceae internationally.

I find it incredible that a few passionate enthusiasts are voluntarily carrying the IAS on their shoulders, we need to thank them all.  We also need to find a way to grow and thrive well into the future, and for that, we need many more active members.  I also wish to thank the professionals in the field that contribute articles and advice as they create a foundation of new information.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Aroidiana...it is the highlight of my aroid year.