Re: Aroideana 33

  • Subject: Re: Aroideana 33
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:05:09 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Derek,

I just got my Aroidiana 33, yesterday.  It is amazing in scope and content.  It is hard to believe that such a monumental effort on behalf of all involved; is voluntary.  It renews one's faith in the generosity of humanity.  I know the process must be like herding cats at times.  Derek, you are to be rewarded on some divine level, at some point.  For this world, I wish to thank you personally.

I will do my part to write.  My favorite group of aroids is Philodendron subgenus, Meconostigma.  Perhaps discussions on cultivating these plants would be of interest.

On a sober note, I just read in this present issue, of the death of my friend, Craig Phillips.  I knew him for many years.  I believe we started to correspond because our mutual interest in the genus, Monstera.  I soon discovered that we had much more in common; illustration, diving,coelacanths, fossils, poison arrow frogs, and a host of other subjects.  I still have some of his illustrations of fish that he gave me.  I certainly miss his letters, which were all written in the old way...in the real world.  This world has lost another living treasure.  Craig was so knowledgeable and genuine and generous.  I was deeply saddened to learn of his passing.