Re: Contractile roots

Mike,
My theory is that Amorphophallus do not have contractile roots. Instead,
the rotting away of the old tuber allows the new tuber to 'fall' into the
hole that is left, thus lowering the tuber deeper each time. This allows it
to stabilize itself better as it grows larger and larger. I have noticed
this on all of my species when I used to dig them up every winter. They got
so deep that now I just leave them in the ground. In this part of Florida
we rarely get a hard freeze anyway. There must be some stopping point to
this, however, or it could eventually sink down to the water table and rot
away! I would be happy to hear from Wilbert or anyone else on this subject
also.