RE: Peltandra virginica

Peltandra virginica is fairly easy to germinate.  Remove the fruit coat and
mucilage around the seed (to increse germination rates) and place in a moist
container at room temperature.  Seeds will germinate in one to seven days.
I've stored intact fruits floating in a container in water in the refrigerator
for up to ten months.  When seeds from these fruits are taken out and put in
the light at room temperature, germination rate is ca 95%.  Intact fruits
can tolerate dry storage for a few months without loss of germinability, but
the seeds removed from fruits quickly lose viability with storage at room

Good luck!  If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me directly --
I've read several articles on Peltandra virginica germination and also have
experimented a little myself.

Sue Thompson
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Ave.