Re: Ambrosinia

> > I have just received two tiny rhizomes (tubers?) of Ambrosinia bassii and I
> > have not a clue as to what to do with them.
> >
> > Can you get me kick-started with these? Any information will be
> > appreciated. I can't seem to find much cultural info on the web.
> > Kind Regards,
> > Rand

 Hi Rand, (and other aroiders)

 I grow Ambrosinia easily in the bed with the other mediterranean
 aroids such as Dracunculus, Biarum and Helicodiceros.
 I am temperate zone 9ish here so this is info.is probably not much
 use to you.

 Bury the tubers about 2 inches deep in light well drained soil. I
 give them heaps of light and keep them moist when they are active (
 winter and spring here ). They enjoy some fertilizer now and again
 and when they go dormant in our summer I keep them dryish to avoid
 rotting. I suspect our conditions are similar to those it lives in
 around the shores of the mediterranean.

 On p110 of Deni Bowns book there is a drawing and notes of the plant.
 She states 'A.bassii can be found on north facing hillsides in well -
 drained humus overlying limestone'.

 The inflorescence are small and hidden under the leaves but are very
 interesting on close examination. The oval leaves are about 4-6cm
 long and the whole plant is only about 5cms high.

 I imported mine from the UK and they took 18 months to change cycles
 to our hemisphere.

 Hope this info. is a help.

Has anyone out there got any interesting Arisaema they want to trade
or sell ? (email me privately).

 Catch ya later,
                        Rob.

Rob.McClure
Dept.of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Monash University, Clayton 3168
Victoria
AUSTRALIA.
Phone:(03)9905.5625