Re: Germinating Anthurium Seed

At 09:46 PM 9/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Carlo,
>
>I use the same tricks that Dewey does and it never fails to work.
>Usually, for a container I will use the clear plastic candy/bakery goods
>containers that come from the local grocery - the containers that have
>the lid with a hinge. I use my regular potting medium and keep it almost
>to the point that it is wet. Usually I'll put enough water in the medium
>so that if I added any more I could pour it out. I keep the lid nearly
>closed until I see germination occuring. During the cooler winter weather
>the lid stays closed to maintain a higher temperature.
>
>With respect to light, anything I germinate sees the normal day/night
>light cycle.  But the containers are kept out of direct sunlight.

Then I guess I'm the guinea pig. I know I can germinate them with light.
We'll see if the light covering of leaf mold makes a difference. (The seeds
are sown in pots and the entire pot put inside a large ziplock bag. The top
is folded over (not sealed). Earlier sowings have germinated well under
these conditions and the plants can grow to a good size before they are
hardened off).

Carlo

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D.        Email: CABalist@facstaff.wisc.edu
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
U.S.A.
Voice:     414.569.1902  Telefax: same number, please call ahead.