Titan Watch Update from Fairchild Garden 9/3/99, 9PM.

Titan Watch Update:
.It didn't open today as expected, but the spathe has really ballooned out.
If you get up real close there is just a hint of odor at times.

.The media came to to pay their respects to Alice today. Channel 6 did a 2
minute taped interview this morning.

.This afternoon Channel 10's  Todd Tongan (probably misspelled) did a video
interview and mixed it with live broadcast at the 6 PM news. He added a lot of
humor. He came in with a cloths pin on his nose spraying Lysol. He introduced
Alice the Amorphophallus, mentioned she wasn't yet actually smelling yet,
talked about her, stated the Garden hours from 9:30 AM to 7 PM for this event,
and then got a hanging car air freshner from his Channel 10 Taxi and gave it to
Alice. We could see the broadcast from a tiny TV the reporters were using. It
looked like fun.

.We set up a camera to take film pictures manually every 15 to 20 minutes,
printed more tickets for the Titan Plant Drawing, took a last look at our
beautiful plant, and decided to pack it in and get a little rest this evening.
This is going to be a long and exciting weekend.

.Maybe Alice will open for us tomorrow if we talk to her real nice.

Good night

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Web site: http://www.ftg.org
Do You Yahoo!?