Re: Styrofoam cones for winter protection

Thanks, all, for the response.  I'll check a couple garden centers but although I live in 7a and although it does get downright chilly around here, I can say that I've never seen anything even remotely like what's been described at any of the stores here on Long Island.

Perhaps with sufficient nagging, I can change that.

The next question is:  will these truly work to help borderline hardy material survive the winter?  Although Colocasia esculenta and Alocasia macrorrhiza have been reported to be hardy around here, I've see nearly all of them turn into compost (except the couple that were planted adjacent to my previously heat-leaking house.  I was hoping to leave some of that material in the ground to cut down on both the fall work of bringing everything in and the spring work of replanting.  I've also read that Colocasia antiquorum *should* be hardy here (but also turns into compost).  I do have sandy soil and the compost isn't a terrible addition, but I can think of cheaper sources for the organic material.

         Les