The Big Help -- is it a big deal?

Hi, Folks!

I'm working on my community garden's Spring Work Day, which is going to be
part of National Volunteer Week (Check out URL at
http://www.pointsoflight.org/programs/programs_nvwintroa.htm).  While I was
there, I found a link to Nickelodeon about their "Big Help" project to get
kids to volunteer.  The URL is:

http://www.nick.com/all_nick/specials/bighelp/home.jhtml

The theme for this year is "Mark your mark, help your park" which seems to
me is something ALL of us in community gardening could exploit to our
benefit! ;-)

Supposedly, "The Big Help" has been around since 1994.  Has anyone else tied
in with it?  Is it plastered all over Nickelodeon such that downloading "The
Big Help" certificates for any kid who shows up to my work day will make
them feel belong to something bigger than themselves (since they saw it on TV)?

Since most of the kids I work with don't have cable, I'm not sure this is
such a huge deal.  However, if I'm just out of it and this would make kids
(and their parents! ;-)) happy enough to show up and help out at the
community garden, give them warm fuzzies such that they would come back or
at least think well of us, I'm willing to tie in the work day with this
even.  Plus, Burger King is listed as a sponsor and anything that would help
me get cash out of them. . .

Thanks for your input!

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator