FW: Starting a Community Garden

From: Sandra K. Barr mailto:skbarr@lostchicken.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 4:03 PM

Hello!

My name is Sandra Barr. I live in a primarily professional residential
town-Addison- which is a suburb of Dallas, Texas. After over 25 years as a
clinical psychologist: PhD: therapist, teacher, and some times researcher
(finally tired of fighting insurance companies to allow me to provide even
basic care but also running short of pro bono space) but I digress. I
finally retired a few years ago to pursue my growing passion- gardening,
especially group or Community Gardening.

I have been taking courses in the Horticulture program at a local Junior
College for two years. I have applied for the local Master Gardener program
to begin this Fall. This semester I have been working one day a week (this
week it becomes two days a week) at a Community Garden in another town
within driving range. This garden has been open for three years and I have
learned a tremendous amount working there with their director, Amanda Van
Hoosier.

I am now to the point where I need to start making some steps on paper to
the Addison officials and start the ball rolling. One year ago, I had reason
to speak to the head of Addison Parks and Recreation and I brought up the
Garden idea. He did express interest as well as mentioning that there was
unallocated park land still available.

Where do I go from here. Can you help me with some sort of direction or
guidance. I am a member of ACGA as of last week and have already downloaded
much of your online material. Please send me anything you might have that
may be helpful.

Thank you for your help and thank you for your time and interest in working
with the Community Gardening movement. This movement does some nice things
for people.

Sandra Barr

14853 Winnwood Rd
Dallas, Texas 75240