Re: Starting a Community Garden

Dear Raquel,

More than likely people will want to join your garden once they see
people working on the site.

When we were first recruiting for our garden in South Philadelphia
(25 years ago), we did a number of things:

Flyers on utility poles (very big in the community in those halcyon
days), notices in the community newsletter, flyers dropped off at
various community centers and churches, notices in church
calenders/newsletters, etc.

Probably most effective approach was that one of our early most
active members was the Democratic "committeeman" in our political
precinct. In those days, such people actually canvassed door to door
in the neighborhood before elections and primaries. Mr. Brightman
took our flyers with application form with him during his canvasses
and passed them out to folk.

But most of the people actually signed up when they saw us out
working on the lot.

Hope this helps,

				Philadelphia, PA

                        USDA zone 7A    Sunset zone 32