schoolgarden advice/asphalt

  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Subject: [cg] schoolgarden advice/asphalt
  • From: Grow19@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 23:48:37 EDT

I need some advice on behalf of a school garden in Washington DC.  The garden
was started in a former asphalt playground.  The design called for leaving
strips of blacktop between planting beds (I haven't seen it, just reporting
what they've told me).  I assume it is to provide walkways.  They tell me
that the asphalt 'was so hot that it interfered with the wellbeing of the
plants in the planting areas.

My question -- is there an environmentally safe material that could be used
to 'paint' the remaining blacktop to cool it?  What color would be best?

Thanks.
Judy Tiger, GROW, Washington, DC
GROW19@aol.com