RE: Big Wig Money

Actually, because of our particular garden population ( in midtown
Manhattan) the comely ones in cut-offs are of all sexes. It just makes
things amusing.

However, in dealing with a business ( never a "big chain monster", these
financial entities are made up of people, just like you and me, who do this
for a living. It is their humanity that you are appealing to.)

Technically, what you are looking for from these business entities is known
according to the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") as a "gift-in-kind."
Because all of these companies are publicly traded, they are extremely aware
of Generally Accepted Accounted Practices ("GAAC") and their bottom line.

My suggestions:

1) Your charitable group should organize as a 501(c) (3) "not-for-profit"
corporation or work under the umbrella of an organization that that does
have 501(c) (3) status (i.e church or charity.) This way any gift-in-kind
contributions can be thanked very sweetly and profusely on a piece of
stationary ( which you can create on your word processor with the name and
identification number of the 501(c) (3) corporation) saying that you are
extremely appreciative of the gift of spades, manure, and the treehouse and
that this letter should accompany any self-appraisal letter of the monetary
value of the gift-in-kind.

2) It is always helpful to have good relations with tradespeople. Ask where
you shop. If they know that you spend, the "gift in kind" becomes doubly
justifiable as a business promotion ( sort of like buying a drink for a
heavy roller at Vegas.)

3) End of season is a great time when stores are looking to get rid of
excess, seasonal, bottom-line-killing inventory. It becomes a win-win
situation for many managers.

4) Always have a letter prepared, be sure to have effusive, non-tax letters
praising "K-Mart" for their generosity, mentioning the manager's names sent
to their  big-boss ( at corp headquarters. in the store) Feel good pictures
of your garden are also good for the company's internal publications, etc.

5) Sometimes, companies are so happy to get rid of stuff, end of season,
that they don't need all of that paperwork, but the prepared, organized
solicitor gets the most goodies.  Sometimes you get calls from companies
asking you if you want to take excess inventory off their hand ( rare, but
even pros over-order.)

6) It also helps to send your more articulate, charming group members to do
the soliciting.