Mission Statements for Community Gardens

  • Subject: [cg] Mission Statements for Community Gardens
  • From: SoleilPaz@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:39:11 EDT

Hi Alicia & Sally & List,

    Here's a copy of what I sent out to our group regarding this. The
essence of the idea came from my short time as an employee of CA State Parks,
which uses the 7th Generation theme in a mission statement. When I first read
this Iroquois quote, it struck a chord deep within me, and I've never
forgotten it. In fact, I can say it's the reason I'm going through the grief
of spearheading a garden in my town....
    Hope it helps.

Elk Grove Community Garden Mission Statement

 A EGCG mission statement is desperately needed. I invite you to write me
back with your ideas and your mission statement. Our vision needs to be clear
and concise. It provides us with our specific Purpose, guiding us through our
growing stages and onward to a mature project.

Ask yourself: Outside of my own personal effects, what kind of an Elk Grove
do I wish to leave my children, grandchildren, and their descendants??
Who am I doing this for?
What are my concerns and commitments for the future?
What legacy are we creating, person by person???

Perhaps consider the 7th Generation statement from the Iroquois Constitution.

Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

“In our every deliberation,
we must consider the impact of our decisions
on the next seven generations.”

Here’s what we have so far:

1.     “It is our goal to provide a place for any person of the Elk Grove
Community to come for Friendship, Knowledge and Relaxation. The EGCG will:
Provide a place for neighbors to meet and share a common interest in organic
gardening and provide healthy food for their family and friends; supply
community members with knowledge they need to garden organically in any
situation; provide community members of all ages and abilities an accessible
place to garden.”

2.     “The EGCG exists to create and nurture community run organic gardens.
We are deeply committed to community pride and unity, teaching organic
methods, preservation of open spaces and native habitat for biodiversity,
encouraging sustainable living techniques and recycling.  Honoring diverse
abilities, ages, and cultures. All gardeners welcome!”

Thanks for your help and I eagerly look forward to your ideas!!
--Soleil of EGCG
SoleilPaz@aol.com, egcgonline@yahoo.com

Click here: The Elk Grove Community Garden
http://www.geocities.com/egcgonline/

"I conceive that the land belongs to a vast family of which many are dead,
few are living, and countless numbers are still unborn."

-- A Chief from Nigeria

“Look and listen for the welfare of the whole people and have always in view
not only the present but also the coming generations, even those whose faces
are yet beneath the surface of the ground -- the unborn of the future
Nation."

--Iroquois Constitution