Re: sprawl statistic

  • Subject: [cg] Re: sprawl statistic
  • From: Travis Beck <Beck.253@osu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:42:14 -0400

 >I'm looking for a current statistic estimating
 >loss of greenspace to development...anyone
 >got one on the tip of their tongue,and perhaps a
 >source? Thanks.
 >
 >Tom Tyler

The Department of Housing and Urban Development, in its State of the Cities
2000 report, finds that land used for single-family housing has been
growing by 2.3 million acres per year since 1994.  They figure that's a 2%
per year increase, or twice the rate of population growth.  The report used
to be available on-line at www.huduser.org, but now they refer one to the
number 1-800-245-2691 for availability information.  There's also some good
information at the Sierra Club website, www.sierraclub.org/sprawl.

Travis Beck
Master's Candidate, Environmental Horticulture
The Ohio State University
beck.253@osu.edu