Re: sprawl statistic

  • Subject: [cg] Re: sprawl statistic
  • From: "Karen Hobbs" <karen@cnt.org>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:31:03 -0500

 According to
        American Farmland Trust (AFT), from 1982 to 1992, 400,000 acres of
prime agricultural land,
        or 45.7 acres per hour per day, was lost to suburban and urban
development. The US Fish and
        Wildlife service reports that urban and suburban development
accounted for 21 percent of total
        net wetland losses from 1985 to 1995.  Colorado estimates it's
losing 10 acres/hour to development.

Check out the Trust for Public Land's website, www.tpl.org, for a copy of
their community open spaces book, which documents why open space is
important to communities, especially for the latest surveys.