Re: drought

  New Mexico is a very dry place to live.  We lived in a very
sandy area on the edge of Albuquerque.   Water was expensive so
I developed a few tricks for growing a garden using very little
water.
     Instead of having raised beds, we had beds that were 6
inches lower than the pathways and rest of the area.  We
mulched with leaves (heavily) and grew all vegetables very
close together (for the shade).   My dad used a method that was
a reverse of the wide row method.  He planted in wide ditches.
In a community garden, small ditches could be used.
     Another gardener I knew used straw hay bales to construct
her beds.  The soil stayed cool and moist this way.

Every year I plan for drought. Here in Alabama, its predictable
that drought will hit for some period in the growing season.  I
grow as much mulch as possible, planting oats and vetch and
clover in the fall and winter in every nook of our land and
gathering as many leaves as I can find.   I'm finding that I'm
pretty unhappy with hay as mulch and after reading "Mother
Earth News" this month, I believe I know why now. The
herbicides used on the land where hay is grown might be a
problem.  I also tend to get a good bunch of weeds no matter
how deep I mulch and regardless of whether I use hay or straw.
I prefer to grow my own mulch.  In a community garden the
pathways can be used to grow the mulch.

  Starting seeds outdoors during a drought is also hard.  I use
row covers or paper towels to cover the seed beds.  This method
keeps the seeds evenly moist and prevents wind or rain from
ruining them.

Hope some of this helps!
Laura

Live simply, so others can simply live.