Volunteer suggestions

  • Subject: [cg] Volunteer suggestions
  • From: "Greg Lecker" <glecker@michaudcooley.com>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:43:35 -0600

Regarding the message:
"My name is Don McKay....Lethbridge, Alberta......We will have around
140 plots when finished. But the garden right now is a real mess with
weeds and no real cleanup.

So I am searching other community gardens for help .    On how to get
members more involved on clean up."

Following are suggestions from my experiences with the Bryn Mawr
Garden Club, Minneapolis, MN and other volunteer organizations:

-Complete asset mapping (discussed in a listserve item a few weeks
agos) and recruit volunteers from this resource.
- Self-promote your community garden whenever possible to maximize
your volunteer base.
- Host a volunteer party, party with food and drink, describe projects,
recruit people, display presentation boards showing gardens in the
past and plans for the future.
- Knock on neighbors's doors and recruit them.
- Phone past garden members and other neighborhood volunteers.
- Organize a cleanup day (it's always more fun to do activities as a
group).
- Advertise cleanup day with newspaper articles, flyers.
- Provide food and drink for the cleanup day.
- Provide name tages and a sign-up list for the day of the cleanup.
- Provide garden informational demonstrations on the day of the
cleanup; look to the local equivalent of University Extension Master
Gardeners for a resource pool of trained volunteers.  Topics could
include:  composting techniques (since you'll have a pile of garden
debris after the clean-up), edible ornamental landscaping, preventing
vegetable diseases through thorough garden sanitation practices.
- Provide volunteers with a reward:  information, new friends, food, T-
shirts, buttons, etc.  (possibly donated by local businesses,
governement?)
- Recognize the contributions of volunteers.
- Prevent volunteer burnout by holding a minimum number of
predictable, regularly scheduled meetings (but no more than
necessary); and by striving to produce quick tangible results.

Good luck to all of us as we seek to increase our volunteer pool!

Greg Lecker
LightSpaces,
A Vision of Michaud Cooley Erickson
Suite 1200