RE: seedy acres community garden purchase

  • Subject: RE: [cg] seedy acres community garden purchase
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:30:39 -0400

Judy wrote:

>  Our friend and long, long-term
>worker for  community gardens nationally, Sally McCabe, is now faced with
>the
>possible loss of her neighborhood community garden -- Seedy Acres -- which
>she and her neighbors have been gardening for over 20 years.  They have
>saved
>about 1/3 of the garden and 1/3 has already been sold, but now they working
>to need to raise $40,000 to purchase the remaining 1/3 -- six plots
>totalling
>about 5,000 square feet.  Only $8.00 per square
>feet!

Shoot!  I didn't realize we were buying part of the garden.  I just sent
Sally a check since I have to use up the ones that only have my name on
them by June 8th!  ;-)  No wonder Frank wanted extra tomatoes!

>Checks can be made out to Neighborhood Gardens Association--Seedy Acres Fund
>
>and can be mailed to: Sally McCabe, 437 Poplar Street, Philadelphia, PA
>19123.
>NGA is helping the gardeners with the purchase.  NGA is a 501(c)(3) and all
>contributions are tax-deductible."

I knew about the tax-deductible part.  Frank is not looking forward to "the
long form" next year! ;-D

Adam wrote:
>If there ever was a way to buy your way up the Karmic chain and avoid being
>reborn as a shrimp fit for an all you can eat buffet in a family restaurant,
>this is it.

Boy, I'm looking for that karma -- the Spring Work Day is this Saturday and
my requests for donations to Stoneyfield Farms Yogurt (for drinkable
yogurt) and Gardener's Supply (for various wildlife habitat and gardening
items) seem to have been turned down.  Has anyone gotten anything from
these folks as the result of a letter or are they saving their goodies for
contest prize winners?  I may have about 100 people there this year (the
high school students looking for a community service project to impress
colleges are popping out of cyberspace *daily*!) and I need food and tools! :-P

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of