Re: Re: Women's roles in Community Gardens

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: Women's roles in Community Gardens
  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:43:44 -0400

Kellie wrote:

>  I am currently working on a research project examining the roles and
> presence of women in community gardening projects/organizations as well
> as in community supported agriculture.

My impression is that Adam notwithstanding, community gardening was a
heavily female dominated field.  My stats for this year's community garden
are as follows -- I hadn't tallied gender before Kellie's questions, but
here it is for adults and my best guess for the kids.

2002 Stats for St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden
as of April 11, 2002

33 gardeners on 13 plots with 6 weekly perennial volunteers for 39 actively
involved participants.

This includes:

Youth:  8 children under the age of 5 (Jeremiah Box, our youngest, was born
last week!), 3 children 10 or younger and 6 teenagers

Adults: Approximately 6 in their 20s, 8 in their 30s, 6 in their 40s, and 1
in their 50s and 1 senior citizen

Ethnicity: Approximately 46% Eastern European-American, 34% Mixed
European-American, 15% African-American, and 5% Irish-American

Disabled: 13%

Gender:  Adult men: 9  Adult women: 15  Boys: at least 6  Girls: at least 5

This figures do not include Spring and Fall Work Day participants where we
usually at least double (and at the 2001 Fall Work Day, quadrupled!) our
participant numbers.