Re: seedy acres community garden purchase

  • Subject: Re: [cg] seedy acres community garden purchase
  • From: Christianstreet@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:27:45 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/02 8:38:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Grow19@aol.com

> How many people can say they are the proud owners of a tomato in Philly.

Well, I can, but I live here. In fact, I just offered an eight-year-old
neighbor the opportunity to grow a "tire tomato" -- we dug a hole, put a
cast-off tire over the hole, and filled the whole thing with compost from
Philadelphia Green, and stuck a pansy in the middle of it until the tomato
seedlings are ready to go.

But I also passed the letter on to phillyblocks, one of the community
organizers' listservs started by Ed Schwartz at the Institute for the Study
of Civic Values. And I'll buy a few square feet of seedy acres, too. I need
to build up some good karma for when we're trying to secure ownership of our
own little piece of paradise.

Laura Blanchard