Message from Bushwick's "Stannard-Diggs Garden"

  • Subject: [cg] Message from Bushwick's "Stannard-Diggs Garden"
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:15:44 EDT

Friends,

The attached  message was in my mailbox this morning from the NYC
Cybergardens listserve.

FYI"  Bushwick is a low income, predominantly Black and Hispanic neighborhood
in Brooklyn with extraordinarily high asthma rates in its children.  Aresh
Jahadi and More Gardens! have been there for the losers in the 2002 Community
Garden settlement (i.e., those gardens who were further down the development
pipeline due to the usual nexus of ethically compromised local community
boards and elected officials  with the "no questions asked" cash envelopes of
the real estate development community.)

I share this message with you to memorialize the loss of this garden for the
American Community Gardening Association and to testify that what happens
outside of our garden gates is crucial to our survival.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer,

Gardeners,
After reading current e-mails (re: Bushwick Gardens), I had to write
this....Aresh offered to help us, but we feel that realistically, the legal
process is complete & there is ultimately nothing that can be done. I want to
take this opportunity to commend Aresh on his work, his dedication, his
respect, his patience, & his love. If there were more like him, all gardens
really would have a chance. Thank you More Gardens & especially Aresh. We
love you!
Nancy
Doomed Stannard-Diggs Garden