RE: Community Garden land ownership

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Community Garden land ownership
  • From: "Jim Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:23:18 -0500

The city of Huntsville has a 99 year lease ($1.00 a year) from the Redstone Arsenal Military Base for using the land we occupy (about 1.5 acres).  They told us if we need to grow, let them know and they will expand the garden as needed.  Of course, all our harvest goes to the senior citizens and homebound of Huntsville and Madison County.  What a deal for them!  They located us next to the Huntsville/Madison County Botanical Garden.
Strange but true.  Last year, an elderly gentlemen visited our garden.  He told me had once farmed the land we now occupied.  During WWII, the federal gov't forced all the farmers in this area off via acquisitions to create Redstone Arsenal which churned out military weapons.  Many years later, we now "farm" off this military base in our CG. Too bad not CGs have happy endings.  We are very fortunate.
Most CGs do not have site permanency.   Most CGs are vacant lots located in the city, so when urban revitalized occurs, the bulldozers crank up. Most CGs do not have a legal recourse under these conditions.
If you have to move, try working with city officals to explore your options.  Maybe a nearby church has land not being used.
Lastly, you may have to find another privately owned vacant lot to relocate your CG.  Maybe you can try this angle... if the lot is owned by a private individual named Judy Tiger... well... in order to secure site permanency, name the CG the "Judy Tiger Community Garden" in her honor.  Sometimes, you have to use your imagination to continue your passion for gardening.
Hope this helps,  Jim Call