RE: Seperating 5-gallon buckets

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Seperating 5-gallon buckets
  • From: "Jack Hale" jackh@knoxparks.org
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:43:24 -0400

Wait for winter.  Trickle water down between the buckets until the space
between them is full.  When the water freezes, it will push the buckets
apart.  I've done this and it qualifies as a garden miracle.  Another
process is to heat the outer bucket by dipping it in hot water this will
expand the outer bucket and/or heat the air inside the bucket causing it to
expand and push the inner bucket out.  I can't remember whether I've done
this or not.  Anyway, after that, train your folks to drape a piece of
bailing twine or something over the rim of buckets before nesting them.  It
provides just enough air space to get them apart easily.
Jack