Organic controls for powdery mildew

>The best organic remedies:  1) baking soda spray (4 tsp per gallon of
>water, with one tsp of liquid soap) or 2) spray with light horticultural
>oil (follow directions for mixing, or you could add the oil instead of
>soap in no.1).

Yes, recent tests using baking soda to control powdery mildew have shown it
to be effective on occasion.  But using liquid soap, especially this much,
as a surfactant (i.e., to get the baking soda to adhere to the plant), may
well cause more harm than good.  Liquid detergent can intensify the sun's
ultraviolet rays, causing tissue damage and the eventual death of the
plant.  I tell folks that if they want their plants fried, they should wait
until they get into the kitchen with them!  8>)

Dawn

Dawn M. Ripley
County Extension Agent for Urban Programs
Cooperative Extension Service, Jefferson County
8012 Vinecrest Avenue, Suite 1
Louisville, Kentucky  40222-4690

(502) 425-4482
(502) 425-0109 fax