I am helping to coordinate a community garden project as an intern at Denver Botanic Gardens this year.  I am interested in knowing of other community gardens that are part of a Botanic Garden.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Also, I am wondering how to deal with the overwhelming weed problem we are having in the gardens.  The administration of the Botanic Gardens has a high expectation of how the community gardens should look aesthetically, and I would love some suggestions of ways to encourage gardeners to keep their individual plots less weedy, as well as common areas and pathways in the garden.  In past years, the coordinator would "red flag" individual's plots that were really out of control, and if the problem was not remedied within ten days, he or she would lose gardening priveleges for the following year.  I don't like such an authoritarian system, but some of the plots and pathways are becoming a nuisance to other gardeners, especially due to all of the bindweed we have.  It is an organic garden, and I would like ot avoid herbicides as well.  Any ideas?

Thank you,

Linda Schroeder
Community Gardens Intern
Denver Botanic Gardens