Re: creative solutions for stealing

  • Subject: Re: [cg] creative solutions for stealing
  • From: Sally McCabe <sallymcc@libertynet.org>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:12:07 -0400

Fences are for dogs ,small children, and honest neighbors.  The higher you
make the fence, the more attractive you make what's behind it.

My experience says that most of the theft is an inside job, and not
malicious (sp?)  We call this "ephemeral theft"  People in the next plot
get annoyed when produce doesn't get picked in time, or what THEY judge is
the right time. Or the gardener dashing through the garden in need of a
tomato, sees that none of hers are ripe, and grabs the handiest one,
knowing full well that someone will do the same from hers. This I can live
with.

What pisses ME off is when somebody comes in with a shopping bag and cleans
out the whole garden. (Libby's solution is to install a cash register at
the gate.)  Even worse is smashed pumpkins and thrown tomatoes. No good
excuses for these.

We have a gardener who plants all kinds of interesting things, then never
comes back to water or weed. The rest of us pitch in and water every week,
weed the paths before tours and contests, tie stuff back on the trellis
when it overgrows, etc. So we of course all feel justified picking the
stuff we've taken care of when it gets ready. And that's when we hear from
him that someone stole all his produce. So far nobody's had the heart to
clue him in.

Old-time creative solutions:
Vines on the fence to make the garden less visible
Plant off-color vegetable--pink tomatoes, white or small eggplants
Dust everything with flour to make it look like you used a pesticide
Cherry tomatoes--kids have to be REALLY persistant to get all of them every day
Plant enough to share

Sally