creative solutions for stealing

We are once again experiencing our usual rash of late summer tomato and
eggplant heists in our gardens. Aside from land mines and barbed wire, have
any of you come up with creative solutions to stop stealing? Perhaps a
rotation of gardeners who are 'on watch'? Background: three of our four
gardens are not locked (and even if we locked them, they'd be easy to get
into), and the fourth has a 6 foot fence with a padlock. Even the locked
garden experiences loss of produce. A final twist: some of our gardeners
suspect that the stealing is an inside job - does anyone have experience
with this type of situation? I know this is an age-old problem, but any info
or consolation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ginger Ogilvie
Community Gardening Coordinator
Wasatch Community Gardens
(801) 359-2658 phone/fax (801) 322-4810