Re:Garden Group Issues

  • Subject: [cg] Re:Garden Group Issues
  • From: "lisa vandyke" <vandykelisa@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:04:37 -0500

Hi folks,
Hope all had a wonderful time in New York, at least those who could attend.
Lynn, I have unfortunately had a very similar experience at the garden I used to coordinate (yes, used to, I finally threw in the hoe). Many folks don't get the connection between using a resource and the work it takes to create the resource. The complacency thing... I agree with Adam that a good reality check is needed, but I also believe that setting down some rules can be very helpful. The rules may be simply a set of realistic expectations, i.e. that the compost be flipped on such and such a day, that the paths be weeded every other week, that the group meets once a month in a pleasant atmosphere (food is good) for a check-in until the operation is flowing a bit better. I would also suggest that the coordinator be prepared to do a lot of the work on her own, but that she should drag in a few of her non-gardening friends to lend a hand if neccessary. I have found that many non-gardeners really love the chance to pitch in to small projects, and this might encourage some new faces in the garden. Another source for new faces and help is the disabled community. I have had a wonderful response from a group home for developmentally disabled adults. The group is fun, eager and committed, a terrific breath of fresh air for a burnt-out coordinator.
best of luck, Lisa in Mpls.